Sail Through the Season this Year
Stop Stress Before It Starts
Take steps to keep stress in check:
- Plan, plan, plan. Post a family calendar listing everyone’s activities, including time for family traditions. Give yourself permission to avoid over-committing by saying “no” to some events.
- Make a budget and stick to it. Spending money on your loved ones is important, but it’s also important to pay your energy bill. Don’t buy gifts that you’ll be paying off for the rest of the year.
- Be realistic. You are only one person, and you can only do so much. Instead of striving for perfection, focus on spending quality time with the people you care about.
- Stay active. Take a walk or do a short workout every morning to pump up the feel-good endorphins and begin each day with a positive outlook.
Get Help for Depression
If you feel down for days at a time and just can’t get motivated to do activities you normally enjoy, talk to a medical or mental health provider. The holiday blues may be caused by seasonal affective disorder (SAD), which is triggered by shorter days and decreased sunlight. Your doctor may prescribe light therapy, prescription medication, Vitamin D supplements, or lifestyle changes to minimize symptoms.
- A few virtual visits with a professional counselor can help you get back to feeling like yourself again. Get started at MDLIVE.com/regence-or, download the MDLIVE app on your phone, or call 1 (888) 725-3097. There’s no cost to you.
Outsmart Holiday Weight Gain
Maintaining a healthy weight during the holidays can be challenging when your social calendar is filled with cookie wars from Halloween to New Year’s. These tricks really work:
- Pick the smallest plate in the buffet line.
- Make it a habit to fill half your plate with veggies and fruit.
- Curb the carb cravings: pass on white bread, white rice, crackers, etc.
- Make every other drink a glass of water.
- Limit yourself to one (reasonable!) serving of dessert.
- Eat slowly, chew well, and savor every delicious bite.
Your Health Plan Helps You
Regence can help you make and keep healthy habits all year long. Log in on Regence.com to learn more about these member-only offerings:
- Regence Empower: Start a fitness routine, lose weight, improve your sleep (and more!), with an online wellness program that guides you on the steps to take to reach your goals.
- Regence Advantages: Take advantage of member discounts on activities, fitness devices, gym memberships, and more.