Get Your Mind in Shape for the Season
The holidays are coming. For many of us, this is a happy time of year…but just thinking about the days to come can increase our stress levels. Soon we will have family dynamics to manage, events to plan, gifts to buy, decorating to do, parties to attend, and budgets to keep.
By strengthening your resilience now, you can take it all in stride. Building resilience is like working out to develop physical endurance. Get started with these resilience-building “exercises.”
• Recharge your batteries. Make time for the activities and hobbies you enjoy. Find ways to relax, whether that’s taking the dog for a walk, playing with your kids, or doing a crossword puzzle.
• Connect with people. Make a habit of getting together with those you enjoy spending time with. Building friendships now means you have people in your corner when life gets tough.
• Look to the future, not the past. Do something that gives you a sense of accomplishment every day. Set short- and long-term goals that matter to you— and then take steps to achieve them.
• Take care of your body. Stress is just as much physical as it is emotional. Make small healthy choices every day. Skip the fast food drive through and make dinner at home. Do sit-ups during commercials on TV. And do your best to get 6-8 hours of sleep every night.
• Talk to a professional. If just getting through the day is a struggle, a counselor can help you find practical ways to deal with life’s challenges.
To schedule a virtual visit (by phone or online video chat), go to MDLIVE.com/regence-or, download the app on your smartphone, or call (888) 725-3097. There’s no cost to you.
Regence can help you find an in-network therapist or a self-guided program. Simply sign in on regence.com to chat online or call the number on the back of your member ID card.